Washington Gov. Jay Inslee has released his 2021-23 biennium climate policy package. The plan:
- Caps statewide greenhouse gas emissions and invests in clean energy, transportation and climate resilience programs, and funds part of the Working Families Tax Credit.
- Establishs a clean fuel standard and reduces transportation emissions through electrification.
- Requires new buildings to be carbon free by 2030 and eliminates fossil fuels from existing buildings by 2050.
- Requires an environmental justice assessment for all climate-related investments and creates an Environmental Justice and Equity Advisory Panel to analyze how climate investments impact communities most affected by climate change.
- Invests $428 million in clean transportation, clean buildings and clean energy projects.
Read more about the governor’s proposals here.